item2
item2
item2
item2
item2 item2
item2 booknow item2
item2
item2

For further information or to book your Dream Holiday to Daydream Island Resort and Spa, book online or contact our Reservations Department on:
Toll Free Australia:
1800 075 040

Phone: +61 7 3259 2350 - Fax: +61 7 3259 2399

item2
item2
item2
item2 item2
item2

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Daydream Island staff to walk 60km in fight against cancer

Daydream's Dream Team - from left, Jessica Ireland, Karen Maher,
Jodi Deighton, Christine Poole and Jenny Brown.
FIVE work colleagues from Daydream Island Resort and Spa are aiming to raise at least $10,000 for cancer research by embarking on a 60km walk through Brisbane.

Brisbane-based Daydream Island staff members - Jenny Brown, Jessica Ireland, Jodi Deighton, Karen Maher and Christine Poole – will be participating in the fundraising event, Weekend to End Women’s Cancers, from October 25-26.

Competing as the Dream Team, they will join thousands of other women as they walk through Brisbane’s suburban neighbourhoods during the two-day physical challenge.

Proceeds will benefit the QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute and Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.

Dream Team spokesperson Jenny Brown said she had seen the effects cancer has on women and their families after her best friend’s mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

“It made me realise how important it was to spread awareness and continue with research to help with early detection and effective treatments,” Jenny said. “At the end of the day I am walking with my best friend and her mum in mind.

“With as many as one in three women developing a form of cancer before the age of 85 we decided to get together and do as much as we could to raise funds.”

Daydream Island Resort and Spa has swung its support behind the Dream Team with a special online accommodation special and a pledge to donate $20 per booking to assist the Dream Team in reaching their goal.

Holidaymakers can help the Dream Team by booking a minimum of three nights at Daydream Island Resort and Spa from only $199* per room per night twin share. The deal includes full buffet breakfast daily and a free upgrade from the Garden room to the Coral Ocean Balcony room and over 20 free guest activities daily including kayaks and catamarans.

The sale is open for bookings from 15 Aug 2014 - 30 Sept 2014 for travel from 15 Aug 2014-16 Sept 2014; 7-20 Oct 2014; 27-30 Oct 2014; 3 Nov- 18 Dec 2014; 20 Jan - 31 Mar, 2015 subject to availability at the time of booking and selected dates 1 November 2014-12 December 2014 (valid Sunday-Thursday nights only) subject to availability at the time of booking.  Full payment is required at the time of booking and all bookings are non-refundable.

Bookings can be made online here.

To make donations directly to the Dream Team please visit the Official Donation Page.

Daydream and The Dream Team will also be conducting other fundraising initiatives to raise money for the cause including cake sales, sausage sizzles and also asking guests to make a donation upon checking out at the resort.

The official website for The Weekend to End Women’s Cancers is: www.endcancer.org.au

Daydream Island's Dream Team is:

Jodi Deighton
The statistics are alarming: an estimated 1 in 3 women in Australia will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 85. Unfortunately, this could be yourself or someone close to you - I currently have a family member who has started her battle with breast cancer. 

This is an issue that is very close to my heart. I think it’s important to stand up, increase awareness and raise much-needed funds in order to help with cancer prevention and treatment 

Hopefully one day, with more awareness, treatment and funding, we can help reduce the number of people who are diagnosed with cancer.

Christine Poole
Over the past few years I've had way too many friends diagnosed with breast cancer.  Thankfully they have all been able to overcome this terrible disease and are now cancer free.  

Unfortunately not all women are as lucky and I want to do my part to help raise money for research into women’s cancers. Hopefully the number of women being diagnosed with cancer can be reduced and the survival odds for those diagnosed can be increased. 

Jenny Brown 
When I was asked if I would like to participate in the Weekend Walk to End Women’s Cancers I thought there was no way I could walk 60 km - let alone two weeks prior to getting married! I’m too lazy to even walk to the shops! 

But when I thought about it further – what better way to say farewell to my maiden name than to participate in this amazing event? 

There are many people in my life who have been affected by women’s cancers. My best friend’s  mum was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer so I have seen the massive effect it has had on her seeing her mum go through treatment.  I’ve also been a shoulder to cry on. 

After seeing how cancer affects not only the individual but their family and support networks, it made me realise just how important it is that we spread awareness and continue with research to help with early detection and effective treatments.

My friend really wanted to do this walk, but due to circumstances beyond her control she was unable to attend. So at the end of the day, I am walking with them both in mind.  

Please show your support and help me fundraise for this great cause.  If all these amazing women can fight cancer, the least I can do walk 60kms; the least you can do is donate.

Karen Maher
I am doing the walk as I have seen a few friends struggle through different treatments for cancer. I felt no matter how uncomfortable this weekend might be physically for me it’s nothing compared to what patients go through to fight this disease. 

The funds we’re raising in the Weekend Walk to End Women’s Cancers will help greatly with the ongoing research in finding a cure or better treatments.

Jessica Ireland
Two years ago, I unfortunately lost my aunty to cancer. It has been the hardest thing to date that I have ever had to deal with.  She was a real fighter and fought cancer for many years but unfortunately lost the battle. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about her. 

Last year I wanted to do the walk but I was quite heavily pregnant so I decided this year I would do it and the wonderful girls who I work with also want to do it with me. 

Unfortunately in life we will all know someone who will battle this horrible disease. I believe we should do anything we can to help raise money to find a cure and this why I am taking part in the Weekend Walk to End Women’s Cancers. I am doing this for my aunty but also for every single person in the world who fights cancer. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

item2
item1
galleriesup conferencesup weddingsup rejuvspaup livingreefup resortinfoup booknowup homeover